Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Words that Bring Back Memories

There were several words used at the Bee this year that brought back good and bad memories. I will also include the words that were mentioned by spellers and Dr. Bailly in their videos, and maybe words that may be used in the future.

Sardoodledom (2007) Dr. Bailly mentioned this word in his video, and I remember Kennyi Aouad cracking up.

Alopecoid (2004) This was also somewhat mentioned in Dr. Bailly's video, and Akshay Buddiga fainted. It brought back bad memories, but Akshay nailed the word! I also don't believe that I had a friend who witnessed that event.

Weltschmerz (2006) When Anja Beth Swoap received this word, I thought she had it. When I heard it, the 2006 National Spelling Bee popped into my mind. Finola Hackett misspelled this word as veltschmerz, and she placed second. Kerry Close had to spell another word, then Ursprache to take the title that year. Unfortunately, Anja misspelled the word as weldschmerz.

Hukilau (2006) This word was on the written test this year, and it was spelled by Kerry Close in 2006. It was not on any of my lists, but I am glad that I watched the Bee that year! In fact, I never heard from the word again, until the written test.

Pappardelle/Rascacio (2007) Although pappardelle was replaced with cucaracha, this word reminded me of the 2007 Champion, Evan O'Dorney. Rascacio was the first word he received during the championship finals, but was used in Round 3 this year. He did not seem to have problems with any word.

Boudin (2003) The word Samir Patel misspelled when he was only nine! The word was misspelled this year as well.
Words that may bring back memories in the future

Secernent (2008) This word was misspelled by five-peat, Matthew Evans, and many people were heartbroken.

Opificer (2008) This word was misspelled by five-peat, Tia Thomas, and she placed third. On every word before, she seemed to know them all. Well, she asked, "Can I have the California pronunciation?" when she received canicular.

Clevis (2007) Who will ever forget this dreadful moment in Round 5, when five-peat, Samir Patel, misspelled this word? It will bring back good and bad memories if this word is ever used again.

Reblochon (2007) When Sarah Harmsworth of Montana knew she misspelled the word, she said, "I'm gonna ding!" I remember the day before, she said, "Are we on TV?"

Fustanella (2010) Tim Ruiter, who tied for second in 2009, was eliminated in Round 4. People were shocked, and it was very unexpected.

Hebdomadally (2009) I do not know if anyone will remember the moment when Nicholas Rushlow said,"heb-what-a-lee?", but it sure made me laugh.

There are so many more words that bring back memories, but it will take me forever to write them! Good luck to all the spellers next year, and remember to do your best!

2 comments:

  1. Hukilau was in my 5th grade music book because there was a song about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cool when you find words in a song, then they are used at the National Spelling Bee. In my choir, we sang a French song and it had the word "devant" in it.

    ReplyDelete