Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Round 3 - I'm Writing This During the First Half

Several of these words were used at the 2007 National Spelling Bee: pappardelle and rascacio. They were both spelled by the 2007 champion, Evan O'Dorney. Perhaps words such as zacate, fauchard, genizah, sagittal, coryza, epaulement, reblochon, clevis, truttaceous, cilice, and videlicet, will appear again! Another word I remember being used is calenture. 


Veronica took a while spelling vaquero. I am pretty sure she knew the word, but she wanted to make sure she had the right letters!


I am proud of Rachael Cundey for spelling both of her words correctly today. In 2009 and 2010, she misspelled her words. In 2010, the judges to a while to confirm whether she had correctly spelled or misspelled mihrab. I assume that she accidentally added an e (mihreab). She seems more confident this year!

I do not see a certain topic on which the words are on this year. Last year, there were plenty of culinary and science words.

I am glad that I watched replays and live contests this year, because a lot of the words are from those bees. They were used in Canspell National Spelling Bee, Salt Lake Valley Spelling Bee, Utah Valley Spelling Bee, Virginian-Pilot Spelling Bee, and perhaps all the Local Bees around the U.S.! A lot of words are from Canspell Finals, including rupicolous, hirsutism, edacious, brachiate, hordeolum, appetency, and clavichord. A lot of the words are from Spell It!

Oh no! Swetha Jasti from Olathe, Kansas misspelled commissar as comissar. She beat Vanya Shivashankar as the Olathe District Bee. I hope she got a good score on the written test! If you do not make it to semifinals, you still have next year, unless Vanya beats you. Good luck and continue spelling!

The sentences are great this year, and a lot of them have to do with the National Spelling Bee. One  sentence was something like "After the National Spelling Bee, I watched the replays over and over again, to hear my mellisonant voice." The sentence for threnody was funny, but long, so I do not quite remember it.

One girl was getting waiting to see if she spelled tokamak correctly, because she mispronounced "t". She spelled it correctly. After, the computers had to update.

This is getting more intense. Speller #114 was waiting for the signal to see if he correctly spelled divagate. Yes, he is correct!

What fell that made a loud sound? Dr. Bailly said, "The show must go on!"

Aha! There is another Canspell word: propinquity.


I get very nervous when a 2008-2010 semifinalist and/or championship finalist comes up. I am not a not a nervous person, but it is nerve-racking to watch other spellers. I have a lot of confidence at the microphone, but when it is the other spellers, I feel as if I am going to pass out, and that is how I feel right now.


The timer has not been showing a lot. Then again, this is preliminaries. It will show more tomorrow, with the sting of that dreaded bell. Ding!

From Round 2: I am so glad that Vismaya spelled her word correctly: maillot. That word is in How to Spell Like a Champ, and she told me that she has that book. She'll be okay, because she studied the Consolidated Word List, too.

First half of Round 3 is over. Cataclysmic concludes the end of Round 3. Unfortunately it was misspelled as cataclysmatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment