Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Round 2

Spellers are doing great!

When Laura Newcombe came up to the microphone I was shaking, then when I heard equinoctial, I calmed down. Veronica startled me most of all the spellers. She received the word Fauntleroy, and thought about it for a while. Graham, was very confident while spelling alkali. I hope all three of them make it to semifinals.

Results for Utah
Matthew - keest (kiest)
Jared - Ulyssean
Anna-Marie - persillade (I love how you knew the origin right away!)
Vismaya - maillot (You are very confident)

Four-peats
Rahul - anomaly
Nicholas - clairsentience 
Julianna - tahini

Round closes with brontophobia.

Round 2 is over!


I was very impressed with #254 Ethan Ruggeri. He flawlessly spelled glabrous. Keep in mind that this kid is only eight. If he wins this year, next year, or the year after that, he will be the youngest champion. Virginia hasn't had a champion since 1992 (winning word: lyceum). He reminds me of Samir Patel (speller from 2003-2007), who was only a third grader when he tied for 3rd. I think he skipped a grade, but I do not remember, because it has been such a long time since Samir Patel. If you do not know who Samir Patel is, I suggest watching the video and reading the article:


http://espn.go.com/espn3 

No comments:

Post a Comment