Sunday, June 19, 2011

Who is Studying For the 2012 National Spelling Bee?

Since the 2011 National Spelling Bee is over, is there anyone who has started studying for next year? Even if I am not competing, I am continuing my streak of not missing a day of studying, which began in 2005. I say that even if you are coaching someone else, you are still studying. I probably am going to keep that streak, until the end of eleventh grade, or maybe even twelfth grade.

Have any of you spellers never miss a day of studying since you started competing? I know there are several who have, and even started studying before they started competing!

If you are too old to compete now, and you competed before, think about all the memories you had about the Bee. I hope that the Bee will be extended throughout high school. So many spellers miss it so much, but I hope my sister makes it next year! For all the spellers who aspire to make it to nationals, and/or really want to go back, I hope you all make it!

Next year, we hope to see two five-peats: Nicholas Rushlow and Rahul Malayappan. They were both four-peats this year. I was upset that Rahul and another four-peat, Julianna Canabal-Rodriguez, did not advance to semifinals this year. Last year, Rahul tied for 33rd, while Julianna tied for ninth.

Besides Nicholas and Rahul, there are a lot of other spellers going for the championship next year, such as Arvind Mahankali, Sriram Hathwar, Dhivya Murugan, Veronica Penny, Nabeel Rahman, and Samuel Estep. If Arvind returns next year, he will be the highest returning finisher as a seventh grader! That hasn't happened since 2005-2006 (Samir Patel).

Did you know that Kerry Close (2006) is the only five-peat to win nationals? Samir Patel would have been second, he was eliminated in Round 5 in 2007. In 2008, Matthew Evans and Tia Thomas were the five-peats. Tia placed third, and Matthew tied for 17th. If Nicholas Rushlow or Rahul Malayappan win next year, one of those will be the second five-peat to win.

Good luck, and continue studying!

No comments:

Post a Comment