Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Round 1 Words

Excuse the font from yesterday about the Round 1 test. Today is the day! Here are the words used in Round 1:


http://twitpic.com/551pap

If you cannot see the words from words 1-18, here they are:

  1. fourteen
  2. drowsy
  3. wasteland
  4. secrecy
  5. generate
  6. normalize
  7. youthquake
  8. unswerving
  9. remembrance
  10. electromagnetic
  11. appointee
  12. oracular
  13. theatricality
  14. quietive
  15. jiggety
  16. infobahn
  17. benediction
  18. calenture
I have seen all these words before. Calenture was used at the 2007 National Spelling Bee, Kafkaesque is one of my favorite words, so it is in almost all my lists. For you spellers who watched or competed at the 2006 National Spelling Bee, you may remember the 2006 champion, Kerry Close, who correctly spelled hukilau. Thanks to my reading and paying attention in school that I knew all these words. I heard benediction in church before, theatricality was a term used in my theater class, and as I said before, reading is very helpful. It is going to be difficult to knock spellers out tomorrow! I have a strong feeling that a few spellers from Utah have already made it.

I almost expected blouwildebeesoog, bhutatathata, and Bewusstseinslage on that list. Although Bewusstseinslage will remain my favorite word, it was already used on the 2007 Round 1 Test. A lot of these words appeared in the Consolidated Word List, so that would have been very helpful to study.

Thank goodness that the last word I studied last night was pinealectomy! Bonobo was a word in my list called "Words that Remind Me of Something Else". It reminded me of a ride at Lagoon Theme Park called Bombora.

Hopefully the spellers do well tomorrow. It would be hard if all 275 spellers got 25 points on the test, then both words correct tomorrow. Would there be another round? Let's just wait and see. Tomorrow, I have to get up at 5:45 A.M. just to do last minute studying and watch Rounds 2 and 3. I am going to bed at 10:00 tonight!

Good luck and continue to have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment