Monday, May 30, 2011

Round 1 Test/Busy Schedule

Spellers, it is time to begin the first day of competition tomorrow! Remember, only 50 spellers will advance to semifinals. If you do not advance, remember that being one of the 275 spellers is already amazing! If you do not win, remember that by the end of the week, that only 87 spellers out of millions hopefuls have seen their dream come true.


All 275 spellers take the written 25-word Round One Test during the Assembly, which begins at 8:00 a.m. Spellers sit in assigned seats at tables in the center front section of the Maryland Ballroom and all other individuals sit in unreserved seats on a first-come, first-served basis. 
The pronouncer, Dr. Jacques Bailly, recites the first word, followed by any alternate pronunciations, the part of speech, origin, definition and its use in a sentence. He repeats the word and information, pauses for 30 seconds, then proceeds on to the next word. After the 25 words have been given, Dr. Bailly will recite each word once in order from 1 to 25 with no word information.
Each word is worth one point and all 25 spellings will count toward each speller's Preliminaries score.


Source: http://spellingbee.com/about-bee-week


Guess what spellers from 2002-2007, the written test is back (That is if it is multiple-choice) This is going to be exciting and less painful. If I were going, it would probably be a little more painful for me. I am not used to taking multiple-choice tests, because I do not take many of them at school. A lot of them I've taken would be knowing the answer and using what you know. It would not hurt to try the written test. 


Some of my teachers gave me spelling lists to study for the spelling bee. After the Bee, I will post my spelling bee career autobiography.


Spellers, remember the mnemonic BLT (not Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato): Breathe, Listen, Think. This is my strategy for taking listening tests. Do not get nervous, or you will have a hard time focusing. Only pay attention to the pronouncer and your work. Do not talk to other spellers while taking the test. Go to the restroom before the test. You will not be able to complete the test if you leave before you are finished. Only leave if it is an EMERGENCY, such as if you are dying, passing out, or if the building is collapsing, which I doubt will happen.


Do I have to have a busy schedule this summer! 


1. Spelling Bee Club Planning
2. Taking Geometry this summer
3. Coaching my sister, cousins, and friends for he spelling bee
4. Swimming
5. Flute Lessons (memorizing a twenty-five minute concerto)
6. Writing my spelling bee stories
7. My spelling bee blog
8.  Cousins coming
9. California (Legoland!)
10. Reading
11. French
12. International Children's Choir Summer Camp with the Drakensberg Boys' Choir at the University of Utah - June 4 (Drakensberg Boys' Choir will also be singing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on Music and the Spoken Word - June 5)
13. Piano
14. Camp
15. Lagoon Theme Park (the best theme park in the State of Utah)
16. Olympic Park
17. Las Vegas (I go there every year)
18. Babysitting my sister
19. Trying to write music






I still need helpers for the spelling bee club! spellingchamp135@gmail.com 





No comments:

Post a Comment