Wednesday, May 25, 2011

6 MORE DAYS!/No Procrastinating/How to Spell Like a Champ/Busy as a Bee

The Bee is six days away. It is so close, that I badly want to go to nationals. I do not think I mentioned that I wrote a letter to the E.W. Scripps Company to extend the eligibility to high school. I had to write it for a class, then the teacher sent it. I hope I get a reply soon!

Sorry if I did not post yesterday. I was very busy doing last minute studying for a history test on the Civil War. Do not think that I procrastinated for this test, because I did not. I had to study a week in advance, becuase I had to study thirty pages of notes, ten worksheets, and researched information. The same goes for spelling. DO NOT be a procrastinator, especially when you try to absorb words in your head before you go take the Round 1 test, or go on stage. The chance of getting one of those words is minuscule. Do not do this, please! Since you have to wait for the Sponsor Bee Guides for Rounds 2 and 3, start studying words that could be in these rounds. I suggest getting Hexco Products. A lot of the words from these list are used at nationals. If you are not convinced, a lot of the champions and top spellers use them. http://www.hexco.com/.

A spelling bee book I really admire is How to Spell Like a Champ! When I first opened this book back in 2008, I realized that the spelling bee was more than just competing and knowing words. I learned that there is a lot of camaraderie between the spellers. I learned more word patterns, improved my vocabulary and etymology, what to do and not to do, great studying tips (not just for spelling, but they are life skills). When I was younger, I used to suffer from test anxiety, but I do not anymore. I learned from champions and other former spellers. I even learned the most obnoxious exceptions! If you have this book, I suggest that you take notes in it, if you have not done so already. http://www.amazon.com/Spell-Like-Champ-SPELL-CHAMP/dp/B0029PW3P4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1306363407&sr=8-3

Spellers are as busy as bees? I am proud of the nickname of Utah: the Beehive state. We are busy people, and are not lazy (at least all the Utahns I know). I am not saying that other states are not busy, but Utah is busy. Utah is a growing state with large families. Our motto is "Industry". Once our mind is set on something, it is hard to give up. All over the state, there is a lot of road construction. The workers do not stop, until the job is done. I am a busy speller, not just in the spelling bee, but also doing  Geography Bees, Math contests, school and homework, reading, singing, playing my three instruments (flute, piano, and violin), researching, writing stories, swimming, playing volleyball, dancing, and so much more.

Word of the Day
ouabain \wa-bay-uhn; bayn\ [Somali to French to International Scientific Vocabulary] a poisonous glycoside obtained from several African shrubs or trees of the dogbane family, and used medically like digitalis and in Africa as an arrow poison.

1 comment:

  1. Ouabain was used in the 2012 semifinals!!

    ReplyDelete