Friday, July 15, 2011

Words Missed at the 2006 National Spelling Bee by Two Spellers, then Missed in 2010 and 2011 by One Speller/Other Words Used in the Past, but Used Again/Strange Fact

After looking over the 2006, 2010 and 2011 results, I realized that one speller from the 2010-2011 Bee got the words the third and second place spellers missed in 2006, but missed them two different years. Do you know which words those are? The words are icteritious and weltschmerz.

Other words are hukilau and syringadenous. If you realized that all these words were used in later rounds back in 2006, they were used in earlier rounds this year! For example, syringadenous was used in Round 11 in 2006, but used in Round 5 this year. This means that the Bee is getting more difficult! It is probably easier for spellers, because they learn new words all the time and improve on word patterns. Some words, such as hyphaeresis, oeillade, and perciatelli, were words used in 2006 (Rounds 1 and 2), but used in later rounds in 2008 (hyphaeresis) and 2009 (oeillade and perciatelli).
It pays off to study past spelling bees. Some words that have been used in the past, then appeared again are:

hyalithe
periscii
psittacosis
blancmange
cossette
devoir
tiralee
fustanella
noisette
canicular
guerdon
stromuhr
theremin
boudin

Did you know that the French word connoisseur has been the most frequently used word at the National Spelling Bee? Yes, it is. There are so many words that are used over and over again.

I do not have time to write a lot today, because I have camp with my church. I will try to bring my laptop, so I can still write.

Good luck spellers!

6 comments:

  1. I noticed that too about the 2006 words! I am following Anja Beth's blog but she doesn't post on it anymore. I ran into your blog but then lost the link. Then I received an email saying you commented on my post. Thank you for the words of encouragement!
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Audrey! I hope you continue going for that dream of competing at the National Spelling Bee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne Flores, I was wondering if you have any more tips for this 2012 spelling bee because I know I would win but I need some advice and help from professionals.Please help me with effective adivice on how to prepare and study words for the Spelling bee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous,
    Please email me at spellingchamp135@gmail.com so I can send you the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne Flores,

    Can you send me the tips, too?

    Thanks.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great way to study is by learning a lot of word patterns (etymology, parts of speech, etc.). hexco.com is a great site for spelling bee materials, and many of the best spellers use them! I highly recommend New Nat's Notes and Spelling Bee Rules! There are also some free lists, such as the After a Spell Newsletter and the 2011-2012 Word List. Good luck!

      Delete