Sunday, July 10, 2011

One of My Spelling Bee Lists has about 90% of the Words Used During Semifinals and Finals this Year!

One of my lists I have never made changes to since December 25, 2010, contains a majority of the words used during semifinals and finals this year. After I watched the National Spelling Bee, I was wondering why I knew most of the words. First of all, I thought it was just etymology patterns that ran through my mind. Actually, it was my word list that had a lot of them.

Words that were misspelled will be red

Here are some of them:

caffeol
choralcelo
espadon (I was pretty glad this was on my list, or espadonne would have been my spelling)
devoir
boudin
boutade
haori
mansuetude
andouille
meridienne
rougeot
hexafoos
fissipedal
pallium
limacine
withernam
whirlicote
loure
privatim
solenne
degringolade
volkerwanderung
watteau
entremets
talmouse
seneschal
bondieuserie
cioppino (This word is on several of my lists, because it is on the Nintendo DS game)
rapprochement
zortzico
staffage
gravicembalo
capercaillie
sarangousty
cheongsam (Another word I studied from the DS game as well)
huipil
puszta
solferino
keitloa
zwischenspiel (My cousin's favorite word)
Those five words (the yellow highlighted ones) were used in Round 13.
sorites
empressement
certiorari
rhabdomancer

Again, those were just some of them. These words were just spread all over the list. None of them were by each other. Actually, there were several words used during semifinals and finals that were all by each other.

Here they are in the order I found them:

zanja (Round 15)
naumkeag (Round 17)
cebell (Round 16)
galoubet (Round 17)
Jugendstil (Round 17)
lekane (Round 16)
tersanctus (Round 5)
brisance (Round 5)
hooroosh (Round 18)
sangsue (Round 15)
thalassocracy (Round 7)

I went through the results and list several times, and I have all the words a speller received. They are all highlighted in orange.

The winning word, cymotrichous, is not on the list, but it is on my other lists. Spellers, look for your words!

If I have time tomorrow, I will post French derived words!

Good luck, and continue studying!

Spell with your dream!
Spell with your heart!
Spell with your love!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that must be one list you've got, Anne! :)

    ReplyDelete