Thursday, July 14, 2011

Setting Goals Has Great Rewards

Have you ever set a goal? It does not matter how great it is, just as long as it is achievable. It may be as small as finishing your homework before a certain time or trying to run a mile in under ten minutes, or as great as memorizing lines for a play or winning the Scripps National Spelling Bee.

It is good to make goals, because there are great rewards in the end. Some of my personal goals are to obtain excellent grades, learn music pieces, help spellers to do their best at whatever level they are at, and improve my time in the mile run.

Why should you set goals? It is good to challenge yourself and strive to improve. There is always something that you can do better, and setting goals is a way to that. A goal may seem unattainable, but with perseverance and practice it is possible to succeed.

My dad says, "In order to achieve a goal, you must work with diligence". I need to find time do what I need to do. For example, I practice my flute for an hour, every day. Currently, I am working on Concerto No. 1 in G Major K.313 by Mozart. This piece is extremely long, fast, and challenging, but with practice I can master it. I will have to play this for a Flute Federation in April, so I had to begin a year in advance.

A great achievement I made within the last few months was being promoted to the tour group of my choir. I joined a choir, and I had to work hard to reach the highest level of the International Children's Choir. In order to be promoted, I had to be in the choir for at least two semesters and I had to work very hard. Some members take three semesters or more before being promoted.

Sometimes, we must make sacrifices. You may have to stop doing something else for a while, in order to aim for your goals. Instead of hanging out with friends after homework, I would study ahead, study spelling, practice singing, and the flute and piano, continue writing my books, and do chores.

My history teacher told us, "It is important to stay organized and stay on top of things. That is why you have a planner." My planner is very useful so I know what is due the next class, what I can work on ahead of time, what special events I need to attend, and so much more. I also use it so I can write down what goals I need to obtain and when I can do them.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." Never give up! Do not be discouraged, because you did not achieve a goal. After I learned that there was no spelling bee sponsor for my area in 2007-2008, I never gave up. I decided to continue studying and I have never missed a day of studying since 2005. I am still studying for future Bees, such as the AARP National Spelling Bee. After five years of never making it to National Spelling Bee, I realized that there was good that came out of it. I had learned a lot of words, I increased my vocabulary, I learned the setup of the Bee, I learned stage presence, and so much more that I cannot mention them all! You always learn from your mistakes.

Believe you can achieve your goals. Lead with a positive attitude, and always do your best. It is important to dream big, and it does not matter what anybody says, because in the end, that is what matters the most.


Good luck to all of the spellers!

No comments:

Post a Comment