Tuesday, July 12, 2011

French Rules/Words

I am very sorry about the French words. Unfortunately, I am still collecting them and the list will not be completed, until about mid-August.

For now, here are some of my favorites:
bertillonage
polatouche
devoir
debonair
decoupage
echappe
echappee
chevet
chevee
ressentiment

Some French tips

The long a sound can be spelled e,ee, ez, et, or ier. (examples: decoupage, suviez, melee, duvet, pompier)

The long e sound can be spelled ee or ie (examples: fricassee, gaminerie)

The ahn sound can be spelled ant, ment, metson, emps, in, en, em, or oint and possibly several other ways. (examples: devant, avalement, entremets, frisson, baragouin, malentendu, croquembouche, embonpoint)

The long o sound can be spelled eau, eaux (if it is plural), au, ot, o, or aut. (examples: heaume, Watteaux, gaufrette, escargot, shako*, soubresaut)

*I hope you realized that shako does not start with a c. This word is originally Hungarian, then it entered French, so it starts with s. What Hungarian word was used at the National Spelling Bee this year? Puszta.
What other Hungarian to French words can you name? How about Slavic? (Ukrainian, Russian, Romanian, and others)

Those are all the rules I'm going to put up today, but hopefully I will get more in. I was supposed to post the French words before semifinals, but I got too busy.

Good luck to everyone, and continue spelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment