Friday, September 16, 2011

Spelling Studies Continue (Even in High School)

Knowing that high school is full of a lot of homework, studying, and dedication (especially when all my classes are honors) has helped me understand why the spelling bee only goes up to eighth grade. I still have time to help my sister and other friends, but I have hardly any time to study.

My teacher has a Word of the Day wall in her room and I love learning the new words and writing some of my favorites down. When one of my classmates taught our class the word bourgeoisie (with the definition, origin, part of speech, and sentence) she forgot how to spell it. The teacher asked, "Does anyone know how to spell the word?" I raised my hand and spelled it.

In science we learn a lot of Greek and Latin roots. It is a good thing that I still remember them, because we have to figure out the definitions of words. In fact there have been many science terms we learned that have been used at every level of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Since my school does the science fair, I will be doing a lot of research and I may pick up more of the obscure words.

In Geography/Ancient Civilizations we learn words from different cultures. Just today, we talked about Ancient India and learned the word bhutatathata. It was not a new word to me, but new to the rest of my class, and a word my teacher could not quite pronounce, so I had to help her. That was very interesting and exciting to know that one of my favorite words was mentioned in school!

High school is going to be really exciting and I hope to learn more words!

1 comment:

  1. I just started middle school a few weeks ago and it is a BIG change for me. I am learning a lot more there. I can't wait to participate in the spelling bee! I wish it was a year round event!

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete