Monday, August 29, 2011

My Competition Years for Scripps are Over

The competition years for the Scripps National Spelling Bee are over. I am still coaching my sister and she is excited! Today, I began high school and in my Honors English class, we will be learning Greek and Latin roots. I guess I will have background knowledge of that. I am also taking French, which will be very helpful for my sister in the Bee, who cannot take a language class yet. I will teach her the word patterns that I learn!

I am so excited for everything that will happen this year. High school is very different from Elementary and Junior High, but I know I can do it. If last year was your last year in the Bee, do not stop learning new words or spelling. There is still the AARP National Spelling Bee, and there are other Bees out there as well. I heard that someone is planning a High School National Spelling Bee, but it is online.

For you spellers who are still eligible, remember that every speller has to stop competing at Scripps one day. If you are a third grader and went to nationals, you still have five years remaining, but you will be finished competing at Scripps. Do not take any spelling bee moment for granted, because you never know if you will make it back to the National Spelling Bee.

Word of the Day
catafalque - /kad-uh-falk/ [Latin to Italian] structure used in churches in funerals

If I get too busy, I may be only posting Word of the Week. Good luck spellers!

No comments:

Post a Comment