Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Spelling Bee Studies for My Sister

Wow! My sister is getting better at spelling all the time. Just three days ago on the DS, she got a streak of 67 correctly spelled words! She even correctly spelled guilloche and she did not watch the 2006 National Spelling Bee with me.

Her favorite word is still Abib (aveev). I know she will do well in the spelling bee, not just because she is a good speller. When she reads, she writes down obscure words. She recently learned the word kibbutz in Left Behind.

Her goal this year is to make it the the championship finals. That was not my goal during my first year when I was eligible to compete. My goal was to make it to just make it to nationals. When I learned that I could have passed the test if I had made it to nationals, I wanted to advance to the quarterfinals or even semifinals the next year. I quizzed my sister on the test and she only missed two words: Bewusstseinslage and malocclusion. We both took the test at the same time the next year, but at home. She missed three words and I do not remember which ones she missed. I missed galimatias as galamatias. My sister did well with the test in 2009, 2010, and 2011, missing only one word in 2009 and 2010 (2009 - onychorrhexis ; 2010 - bouleversement). In 2011, she passed it.

We have been making a schedule for her now that she has started school. Are you spellers ready for school and the spelling bee? Good luck everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment