Friday, April 26, 2013

I am Back, but I Don't Know How Much I will be able to Post/New Spelling Bee Format/Spellers

Dear Spellers

There has been a lot going on with the Bee since I last posted. I have not been able to post for a while, because I have had a lot of homework, a lot of standardized testing prep classes, languages, studying, choir, composing and arranging music, music theory, flute, and piano.

Changes:

  • The Bee has added a vocabulary test to the Preliminaries Test
    • Section A - Just like before: Spelling Test, but there will only be 24 words, and 12 words will go to the full score. (Round 1)
    • Section B - 24 Vocabulary Words with 12 words going to the full score. (Round 1)
    • Section C - One multiple choice vocabulary word (Round 2)
    • Section D - One multiple choice vocabulary word (Round 3)
Yes, there will still be oral rounds for Preliminaries, Semifinals, and Championship Finals!
  • Semifinals
    • Basically the same process as the Preliminaries Test.
  • Championship Finals
    • As before, spellers spell orally until there is a champion or co-champions.
Use this for more information.

Two of three spellers from Utah are three-peats

The other repeaters:

Five-Year Repeaters (2)

Four-Year Repeaters (5)

Three-Year Repeaters (13)

36 Anuk Dayaprema97 Caleb Miller
60 Lucas Urbanksi179 Hunter Randolph
61 Yasir Hasnain225 Isabella Neubauer
64 Pranav Sivakumar255 Jared Ward
73 Joe Kirkpatrick256 Vismaya Jui Kharkar
83 Margaret Peterson268 Shayley Martin
91 Vanya Shivashankar

Two-Year Repeaters (43)

18 Isabel Cholbi151 Carson Monks
28 Katharine Wang165 Philip Cummings
29 Eva Kitlen166 Nicholas Manfred
35 Donovan Rolle168 Dylan O'Connor
41 Christal Schermeister175 Katie Danis
44 Nikitha Chandran189 Manu Nair
63 Christopher Rademacher190 Joseph Delamerced
67 Sophie Bergman196 Iram Kingson
76 Aaron Manning201 Rebekah Stanhope
77 Kaelyn Bender203 Max Lee
87 Joshua Kalyanapu204 Richelle Zampella
95 Nickolas Day229 Nicole Frische
109 Michelle Beaulieu230 Jasmine Brandt
110 Christian Kincaid231 Rahul Krishnaswamy
112 Sydney Christley235 Kate Miller
125 Kuvam Shahane237 Victoria Epstein
126 Hannah Jackson257 Ronan Howlett
129 Emma Greenlee258 Luke Thornburgh
135 Faaris Khan260 Madison Fuentes
142 Gokul Venkatachalam266 Jae Canetti
148 Ebose Eigbe274 Jonah Gunter
150 Kennith Gonzalez























I hope will be able to post more words, root studies, etymology studies, and more soon!

Good luck! Viel Glück! Bonne Chance!

2 comments:

  1. I think that its a great idea that they're adding definitions to spelling bees! It helps spellers really understand what they're studying. I did spelling bees, since I was in 3rd grade, and have just participated, last March, in my last regional spelling bee. I wanted to win, because I wanted to improve my finish in the Nationals. Sadly, I got 2nd place. It was a heart breaker. Days later, I knew that I had to turn my loss into something positive, so I started a petition to the National Spelling Bee to let ninth graders compete! I need 20,000 signatures, but the more the better! You can sign it here: http://www.change.org/petitions/scripps-national-spelling-bee-let-9th-graders-compete Every signature helps, and it only takes a minute to sign. Please take the time to sign it, because I know I'm not the only speller that thinks this should happen. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a letter to Scripps after my 8th grade year about extending the Bee, but I unfortunately never received a response back. I'm going to be an eleventh grader next year, so what about high schoolers, not just ninth graders? I really want to compete again. This year I competed at a French Bee (all the words were in French, but you could only ask for a sentence, you had to say the accents, and you had to spell in French).

      It is sad when a speller doesn't return to the Bee, but yes, I will sign the petition! But if they don't, it will be sad. But the Bee has allowed me to be harder worker and love words and their languages. I'm planning to double major in music and international business. I really enjoy languages and words. Spellers also notice an increase in their vocabulary.

      Thanks for posting, and best of luck to you in all you do!

      Delete