Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Deutsch und die Biene

That means German and the Bee.

First of all, I will try to post some etymology studies before, during, and after Bee Week.

For today, I will be writing about German (or should I write this post in German?)

Nein. Es dauert eine Weile. 

As many of you probably know, English is a language that originally came from German (West German dialect to be more exact), even if we borrowed from many other languages, too.

German is actually an amazing language to learn, and I really enjoy it. I may not be taking it at school, but I have been learning from my German friends from my choir, when the German exchange students were at my school, and some of my Austrian friends.

Völkerwanderung - migration of nations

  • Völker means "nations" (volk means "people" or "nations")
  • wanderung means "wandering" or "migration
Ursprache - a parent language
  • Ur means "original" or "primitive"
  • sprache means "language" (sprechen/spreche means "speak", so they're pretty similar)
Weltbild - image of the world
  • Welt means "world"
  • bild means "image"
That is all I will post for now. There are also words like Götterdämmerung (twilight of the gods). Just in case you did not know, when German words have umlauts - those two dots over certain letters, and you spell them without the accents it would be spelled like oe or ae. Do not EVER spell words like this at the Bee. 

Good luck, spellers!

4 comments:

  1. Oh yay! The blog's back!

    Question: what is your opinion on the vocab part of the Bee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually really excited for it! It is a splendid idea, and it shows who understands the words while they're studying. It will really expand the mind of the participant. The only thing I don't like about it is that it was only announced about a month ago. It would have been better if it was announced a little earlier. Other than that, I really like it!

      Delete
  2. Haha, Deutsch reminds me of Dutch for some reason. :)

    How do you pronounce Deutsch, by the way? I'm guessing "Dyooch"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pronounced as "doich". Dutch is actually derived from German.

      Delete