Thursday, May 31, 2012

Congratulations, Snigdha Nandipati!/Recap

Snigdha from California is the champion! Her winning word was guetapens. She was so happy and joyful! My guess list was not messed up!

The only five-peat who has ever won the National Spelling Bee still remains at Kerry Close (2006). Nicholas Rushlow could have claimed the championship, but he misspelled vetiver (vetover). It is a type of grass in Asia. The origin is Tamil to French. Great job your final year, Nicholas! I swear I have seen that word somewhere in a perfume store (It is not all the time I am at a perfume store), but I did pay attention to some of the perfumes, even if I forgot all the names of them. I wish I had brought a notebook with me that day. When I heard the word, I had a feeling that there was a tricky spot (the schwa). When I heard French, i popped in my head. French derives from Latin, therefore the schwa in Latin is usually an i (In Greek, it's an o). That was also when I realized that I had seen that word before!


Arvind misspelled schwannoma, which comes from a German name. It was spelled schvonoma, but he will most likely be back next year! He misspelled Jugendstil last year, which is another German word, and it is now his favorite word!

Stuti Mishra misspelled schwarmerei. Now I know when this word was used: 2004 when Akshay Buddiga placed second. He misspelled the word, also. It is best to study results from prior years, because those words will appear again one year or another.

Here are the spellers who may have a shot at the national title: Arvind Mahankali, Vismaya Kharkar, Grace Remmer, Vanya Shivashankar, Lori Madison, Pranav Sivakumar, Rachael Cundey, and Emily Keaton. Rachael Cundey and Emily Keaton will be five-peats next year! Good luck to all the spellers, and congratulations! See you next year.

I will continue my posting throughout the summer (I end school next Friday). It is time to prepare for next year. I will be coaching a few of my friends and perhaps more!


No comments:

Post a Comment