Friday, March 9, 2012

2012 Salt Lake Valley Spelling Bee/Tips/Sorry I Haven't Been Writing Lately/Updates

Spellers from the Salt Lake Valley, be prepared on March 10 (Saturday), because it is time to determine the speller who will be competing at the 2012 Scripps National Spelling Bee! There will be 75 schools competing (that's about five less than last year).

Date: March 10, 2012
Location: Juan Diego Catholic High School - 300 East 11800 South, Draper, Utah 84020
Time: 8:30 A.M. (make sure you are there earlier if you are a participant)

I do not know if I will be there, but I wish you all the best of luck to you and other spellers from around the world!

Past Champions:
2009 - Henry Korous
2010 - Miranda Hulsey
2011 - Vismaya Kharkar

Tips

After the pronouncer says the word to you:

  • Say the word back to him/her.
  • Ask questions: definition, origin, part of speech, sentence, and alternate pronunciations.
  • Make sure you think hard.
  • If you are in the middle of a word and need to start over, say, "May I please start over", and make sure you retrace the letters you first said, because once you say a letter, it cannot be taken back.
  • Say the word, spell it, then say the word again (saying the word before and after spelling is not required, but it is best so the judges know when you start and finish)
  • Take all the time you need (for several bees), but at the national competition the time limit is 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
As you spell the word do not be nervous or think about anything else. Completely block out the audience and focus on the word.

Good luck and have fun!

By the way, I have not been writing as much lately, because I have been busy with studies, choir, school, activities, helping spellers study, and a lot more. 

  • This was my first year doing the science fair, and I advanced to the district level (some of my friends took many years to even reach this level). Unfortunately, I was a few points away from advancing to the regional science fair, which is the final level before the international level. I have already started my project for next year. 
  • I advanced to the state level (also the final level) of Art Inspirations in two categories: Literature and Music Composition.
  • I sang at several 10th Anniversary 2002 Winter Olympics Events.
  • I had to do registration for classes next year (don't expect me to post a lot next year with a lot college credit (AP) and honors classes).

No comments:

Post a Comment