Monday, December 19, 2011

It's Time to Continue Studying (Even if Many Have Been Studying for a While)

Since my friend advanced to the school bee she has been studying with vigor. She wants to do very well in the entire contest, even if it is not the semifinals of the National Spelling Bee. I told her that making it to semifinals is probably the most difficult part of the Bee, because of the Round 1 test. She reads a lot in her spare time, and that is where a lot of words in the Round 1 test are drawn from (epilepsy, tutelage, electromagnetic, and others).

My sister is also studying for the Bee, and she wants to advanced to the championship finals of the Bee. This is a problem, because my friend and sister both go to the same school. The only way they can both make it to the national level is by being co-champions at the school and local level. My sister has four years, while my friend has three years, so they are still pretty young.

This brings me to my friend's sister who is only eight and in the third grade (she's too young, unfortunately). She can already spell words such as xanthosis, huapango, logorrhea, devoir, and a lot of other words. Her favorite word is kwashiorkor.

Continue studying spellers, and I hope to see you all next year at the National Spelling Bee!

No comments:

Post a Comment