Wednesday, April 25, 2012

32 More Days Until Spellers Arrive in D.C.!

One of my teachers once said, "Due dates are closer than they appear!", and since the National Spelling Bee ended last year, I knew it would come quickly. Now it is only almost a month away! If there is anything you want me to post about, please comment or email me at spellingchamp135@gmail.com

Some Tips:
  • Before going on stage, do not absorb lists of words into your head that you will most likely not receive, especially during the Round 1 Test, Semifinals, and Championship Finals.
  • Do not think about the bell when you are spelling a word, because if you think about it, you will be worried and most likely misspell your word.
  • Think of all the possible spellings for the word you receive.
  • If you do not know a word, use your knowledge of etymology patterns to figure out the spelling (this includes roots and combining forms).
  • Block out the entire audience when you are spelling your word.
  • Ask proper questions and think the entire time - you only have two minutes and thirty seconds to spell your word.
After my spelling bee career was over, there was a lot that I had moved onto other things such as high school, the Science Fair, returning to theater (professional and amateur), babysitting, leadership skills, music and audio recordings, filmography, return to dance, and so much more! During my Bee years I had choir, flute, other musical instruments, sports, and so much more, but after all that time, more activities were added, and I have had to keep a 4.0 GPA, or else the consequences would be severe. Think about what you will do after your Bee years, because life is not all about the Spelling Bee.

I thought everything would change after my spelling bee career, but very little changed. I have been more dedicated to my school studies more than ever, and I have been studying words still, even if it is no longer for the National Spelling Bee. There are many esoteric words I have to learn in my Biology, Math, English, Geography/Ancient Civilizations, and other classes. 

My sister, friends, and one of my cousins have been studying for the Bee, and one of these years I hope at least one of them will make it to the National Spelling Bee and possibly take the championship. 

I wish all spellers the best of luck and may you all do well!

No comments:

Post a Comment