Friday, October 7, 2011

Is it Misspell or Mispell? DING for Mispell

There have been many words that have been misspelled, even the really easy ones. Several months ago there was a news article that said Chicaco instead of Chicago. What other silly misspellings have you seen? On one of my spelling bee trophies the word sarsaparilla is spelled sarsaaparilla. I noticed this once I received the trophy. There is a small store in my city called Millennium. Unfortunately, it was missing one n, so it was misspelled as millenium.

Misspellings are all around us, and they are sometimes obvious, and often disturbing. There was an article about spelling and grammar mistakes that make you look unintelligent. In business, excellence is extremely important to aim to. Misspellings and bad grammar can hold you back in your career.

http://work.lifegoesstrong.com/7-spelling-and-grammar-errors-make-you-look-dumb

http://www.oddee.com/item_96509.aspx

An email that was sent out by the principal of my school for the spelling bee, misspelled the word mispell. I was pretty glad that it was not the letter sent out by The Valley Journals (the Salt Lake Valley's Bee Sponsor), or else 84 spellers would have seen the mistake.

There have been many news articles that have had misspellings. I even caught several spelling mistakes in my school newsletter several months ago.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/fun/funny_misspelled_words.html

Have you ever read a list of excuses from parents with the spelling unchanged? Here are some of my favorites:

"My son is under a doctor's care and should not take P.E. today. Please execute him."
"Please excuse Jason for being absent yesterday. He has a cold and could not breed well."
"Please excuse Mary for being absent yesterday. She was in bed with gramps."
"Please excuse Jackie for not having her homework she was a little under the weatherman, and there was a big flurry in Central America."

Here are more:
http://madtbone.tripod.com/school.htm

It is fun teaching others spelling. I have several classmates who have trouble with it, and I am there to help them. It is sometimes disappointing to my classmate when a teacher does not know how to spell a certain word (gratefully not any of the English, Language, or Creative Writing teachers).

It does not matter if you are in your spelling bee career or not! You know you can help other people no matter where you are!

2 comments:

  1. The misspellings are so hilarious! However, I need some help fast! I am in seventh grade and I have a class spelling bee soon. I have studied with last year's spelling list, as the teachers didn't give us a list. Do the lists change very much year by year? Please help fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spell It! does not change much (mostly for the local bees), but the grade lists usually change. Hexco.com is a very useful, and has been used by many recent champions. http://www.hexco.com/content/National_Spelling_Bee_2011_word%20list.pdf Use the Graded word section, because those are many of the words used in the class bee and school bee. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete